Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Hat For A Homer

 
Like most Orioles fans that grew up in the 1990's, I was a giant Cal Ripken Jr. fan. I was such a big fan that I thought I would be the next Cal Ripken and had to play shortstop my first year of little league. And not only did I have to play shortstop but I had to have number 8 as my jersey number. As my first season was starting my dad went to a Sloper's (anyone remember Sloper's?) one day to get me batting gloves or something else small. I can't remember what exactly it was. But when he came home he told me he saw something in the Sloper's, something awesome. He told me about a Cal Ripken hat. I didn't understand. First, what was a Cal Ripken hat? And second, why didn't he bring the hat home with him?

He would explain that the hat had RIPKEN on it, with a number 8 in the middle and some sort of replica of his autograph sown into the hat. I was beyond excited about it. I was adamant that I must have it. My dad wasn't just gonna get it for me cause I wanted it, so he made me a deal. If I got a home run during the season he would get me the hat.

Now I wasn't a guy with much power, especially when I was a little kid. I was a string bean. So getting a home run--in my first year of little league no less--was not something that I was sure I could accomplish. But I was motivated to get that Ripken hat. I had dreams of smacking a ball over the fence and getting the hat.

As the season was about midway through it didn't look like I was gonna get a home run. I was swinging and missing a lot. I couldn't find a bat that worked for me. They were either too long or too heavy. I was a string bean, remember. One day my dad came home from work with a new bat for me. This bat was as long as most of the bats I had been trying to use, but lighter. At practice I was crushing the ball with this new bat. All the sudden I could get to the ball with the lighter bat.

I started to make better contact in games. I remember smashing a ball one game, but foul by a mile. I was not happy. I thought I was gonna get my hat with that one off the bat. A few games later I crushed a ball into left field corner. It was off the wall for a sure double. As I got to second I was slowing down, but as happens in little league there was trouble getting the ball in the outfield. My coach was waving me on. So I picked my speed back up and ran for third. He wasn't stopping there; he was sending me home! As I rounded third I thought oh this might be it. This would count! My dad never said it had to be a home run that left the field, just a home run. An inside-the-park home run would count just the same. So I rounded third on my way home. Sprinting with all the speed my little legs had left, I touched home. I had done it! An inside the park home run! I remember leaping from home plate to the fence behind the plate (which had to be a few feet) where my parents were sitting. As I reached the fence I pointed at my dad and said, “You owe me a hat,” as they were all cheering and yelling. I walked back to the dugout, more excited about my soon to be hat than the home run.

I still have the hat. Cal is still my favorite player. And that story is one of my best and most favorite memories from the time I played baseball.

-Matt Baggette @mlb930



No comments:

Post a Comment